Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Is this thing really working?

The nice, friendly, FedEx man showed up at my door step last night with my long awaited Dexcom. However, I was in no rush to put it on. I ate dinner, had ice cream, and then went and walked a fairly long distance of Misquamicut State beach. When I got home around 8:30, I decided then would be a good time to start up the whole Dex process. ( Ma Dukes had been previously charging it for me ) So lone and behold, I sat down in front of my computer with the start up dvd and even though I've probably watched it 5 times through already, I felt it necessary to watch it another 5 times to assure myself that "I could do this". < like that?? ; ) 

Even though I used to have omnipod and spent years tearing the adhesive papers off the back and sticking it somewhere on my body, and struggling to put it in places I couldn't reach, then letting it self-inject like a friggin shot gun... you think I would have gotten used to it? Nope, I used to jump every time as if it were actually a shot gun. I think it was the petrifying TICK! it'd make. In any case,  this Dexcom insertion was the same...but different. I manually had to put this crazy contraption on.  I really should have called to make an appointment for a training.. but I wanted to conquer this stunt myself. So I swabbed clean my stomach with alcohol, let it dry, peeled the papers off, stuck it on, and there i sat holding it awkwardly between my index and middle finger in my left hand, and pinching my very generous belly fat in my right. 
Now, uh... I just push the plunger, r r r ight? I thought to myself.
Why the FACK are you so scared to do this? 
You freakin' inject yourself with insulin 6 times a day. Don't be such a wuss. 
Fine. Fine. OK. Lemme just watch this tutorial 1 more time. Just so I can be sure.
.....I was already sure. I'm just a chicken. 
1...2...3... click click. 
Yo... I did it. That's it. It's in. 
Click Click... Pull collar back.
I DID IT I DID IT.
( in reality, I ran downstairs to my parents bedroom like a child on Christmas Day.) 
and yes I still live at home.

After my tremendous feat, I sat in my room for 2 hours waiting anxiously for Dex to prime so I could calibrate. 

OK. Here my questions lie. 
I understand that Dex is not going to give me on target blood sugar readings, but shouldn't they be ball park? Dex woke me up multiple times last night to tell me my blood sugar was " High" about 250. So, I rolled over, opened my blood sugar meter and checked 3 times to be sure. I was 150! I felt fine and I didn't have a full bladder. I wasn't high. Why was Dex trying to ruin my wonderful night of sleep?

Second, this morning around 5am, Dex starts vibrating telling me that I'm now "Low" 55 and going down. So once again I check. Twice this time because at this point I know my meter is on key.  Both 88 and 86. YO DEX IM NOT LOW. 
Maybe we just need to spend a few more days together and get acclamated. I'm not sure. Or maybe I really should sched an appt with good ol' Diabetes Associates and let them tell me how to do this. 
However, since I've had breakfast this morning and given insulin, my meter blood sugar is 150 and Dex is telling me I've been hovering 107 and stable. No steady increases or decreases. 

I guess I'm okay with that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment